All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
Simply the best?
cnet wrote:
How the venerable PS2 made it to 9 years old
by Daniel Terdiman

People always talk about dog years, or cat years, but what about video game console years?

It's hard to know what that math is, but one thing is certain: Sony's PlayStation 2 turned 9 years old Wednesday, and it sure feels like the best-selling video game console of all time has been around a whole lot longer than that.

Yet even though we're already more than three years into the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360/Wii console generation, the PS2 is still going strong. Routinely, month after month, its sales are in six figures--146,000 in September in the United States alone, according to The NPD Group--and there's no reason to think the 485 (and counting) developers who have made games for the platform are going to stop any time soon.

The PS2 turned 9 on Wednesday. What's that in video game years, if dog and cat years are equal to 7 human years?

In large part, that's because there are millions of people for whom the world-beating processing power of the PS3 and the Xbox 360, and the graphics-so-good-you-can-see-beads-of-sweat-on-sports-players'-bodies aren't worth paying several hundred dollars for. For $100, they say, you can get one heck of a good video game playing experience with a PS2.

It "still holds a place in my heart--there's so many great games with huge amounts of replay value," said Michael Steavenson, a public relations professional who bought his PS2 around 2001. "I'm not so interested in blazingly fast processing speeds, graphics that make games look like a movie, or uber-cutting-edge hardware stats. If the game is well-designed, fun to play, and provides me with a good emotional connection, I'll play it forever."

According to Sony, one out of every three U.S. households owns a PS2, and, worldwide, almost 140 million people have one. To date, Americans have bought more than half a billion PS2 games, and all told, nearly 10,000 titles have been released for the platform. Not bad for a machine that has earned the right to be living out its golden years sitting on a porch somewhere, smoking a cigar and grumbling about kids these days.

"I think we're all surprised that a piece of technology that was released 9 years ago is still popular today," said Jesse Divnich, a video games analyst at Electronic Entertainment Design and Research. "What is Moore's Law? That technology power doubles every 18 months. So in the technology realm, being able to survive 9 years is an incredible accomplishment that Sony should be proud of."

To Divnich, the most important element in the PS2's continued success is its overall value. The machine costs just $100 and includes a functional DVD player.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10385526-52.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:38 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
It's alive if you still like playing games that came out years ago (and/or can still find them to buy). I think it kinda died in 2007, since then there hasn't been much but crap released for it. Unless you're into "super guitar hero rock star 15".

Gaming is a strange hobby, how we drop old systems and get excited about new ones. Like most people wouldn't go out and buy a new n64 game, but yet release a game on Nintendo DS that uses the same technology-level as an n64 game and people are all hyped out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:05 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
Daymon wrote:
Gaming is a strange hobby, how we drop old systems and get excited about new ones. Like most people wouldn't go out and buy a new n64 game, but yet release a game on Nintendo DS that uses the same technology-level as an n64 game and people are all hyped out.

Well I imagine if they kept selling N64's (and evolving it into cheaper more compact models) and actively advertised its new games, it would make a profit.
I happen to feel the same way about FFXI. I am surprised how far this game has gone without any advertisement. Wonder if WoW would have been half as successful had they not advertised the way that they did.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:06 pm 

IGNs: Main: Astrai (M)
Second: Umiraphame (E)
Mules: Feugh (T), Socent (G), Eume (H), Lioh (E)
not gonna lie, I like oldies better than most of the new crap that's been pumped out lately.