-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My games of 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
2012 is over, my first year in about a decade of not playing Final Fantasy XI at all. Like any good recovering mmo addict I drank lots of coffee and fed my addiction with other games.

Here's the games I finished-
1. super mario 3d land (10 hours)
2. star fox 64 3d (5 hours)
3. kingdoms of amalur (400 hours)
4. final fantasy xiii-2 (30 hours)
5. mario kart 7 (150cc) (15 hours?)
6. breath of fire 4 (60 hours)
7. batman arkham asylum (20 hours?)
8. ff theatrhythmn (20 hours)
9. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (10 hours)
--. the last story - did not beat final, final, final, final, final, final boss (30 hours, crap, burned it)
10. dark souls (100 hours)
11/12. white knight chronicles 1 + 2 (70 hours + 15 replayed because brimflamme sucks)

Kingdoms of Amalur I thought was great. A litte repititous and way too easy but I played through it with 3 different character builds and did every single quest in the game, like 262 of them. It basically played like a single player world of warcraft with a battle system something like the 3d zelda games.

Other than that I managed to finish a ps1 game I never played: breath of fire4, beat dark souls which isnt as hard as people say, and skipped through final fantasy 13-2 in about a week.. easy game that didnt do much for me. Also of note would be Hironobu Sakaguchis wii game -the last story, which I sort of had mixed feelings about, probably going to replay it eventually.

That's about it. Going back to xenoblade chronicles now, I imagine it'll last me 100s of hours. Played it about 30 hours before and decided to wait until I had a larger block of free time to start it properly (which was my 10 days off for christmas). If I finish it I vow to go back and FINALLY complete Xenogears this year. I bought that and grandia1 off of the playstation network awhile back.

What did you guys do in 2012?

Post subject: Re: My games of 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
Breath of Fire 4 - good game. I think underrated also (BOF3 was a classic that gets most of the attention.)

Since I don't own a console. I have been playing Planetside 2 as you know + minecraft (solo).
Critique on Planetside 2 - If you don't go the buying Station Cash route with real money, a lot of the weapons take a long time to acquire via ingame exp. Thankfully I think ability upgrades can only be gained by leveling up.

Besides that I have been playing some games from the Humble Indie Bundle 6 and 7. HiB games remind me of the challenging games I grew up with (not quite like FFXI though lol).

Partially beat The Binding of Issac. (Beat the storyline portion but there are harder bosses) Its a gross indie game akin to Legend of Zelda for NES. Tons of items and randomly generated dungeons so you aren't replaying the same room if you start the game again.

Beat Rochard which was an an innovating experience as a sidescroller. Was basically a sidescrolling action "puzzle" game.

Also beat Shatter which was a great Arkinoid-type (read pong) title with one of the best game soundtracks I have heard. I was pleasantly surprised when I dialed up the audio ^^.
Not as many games as Daymos but in all honesty Minecraft is a huge timesink :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 am 

Xenoblade was this year right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am 

IGNs: Dyn
Dyra
Denruki
Joe wrote:
Xenoblade was this year right?

'12 yes

Games i finished:

Assassin's Creed series (I, II, B, III)
Dragon's Dogma
Hyperdimension neptunia mk2
Pokemon Black 2
Soul Calibur V

Some other games from previous years as well. Trying to work on my backlog (have a few games that I haven't even unboxed) but I've managed to increase it...got a 3DS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm 

I bought my son minecraft for christmas, he's going nuts with it. Basically after opening presents he played it for the entire rest of the day and didn't open a single other toy/game. I find it hilarious to go into his creation mode games and dig long tunnels, fill them with tnt, then bury all the tnt and put a pressure-plate switch there.. he steps on it and BOOM! grand canyon time :p Survival mode seems cool but I never really get to play the game much for obvious reasons.

My backlog is growing exponentially, I think I acquired about 35 games in 2012, most of them $30 or less though. (got dragons dogma for christmas, really looking forward to that one)

This buzz I hear around the internet about 'cloud gaming' and the end of consoles within the next 10 years is kind of making me paranoid, I really don't want gaming to become like netflix where games stream onto your tv and you have no ownership of them. As cloud gaming gets closer and the next consoles come out I'm probably going to lose it completely and stock up like 20 years worth of cheap game disks and old systems to prepare for the future.

Right at the moment I'm reading the last issue of Nintendo Power, sad times, I started getting Nintendo Power with issue #3 (the last is #285). They have a 'best 285 nintendo games' section in it, of those 285 I've bought 121 of them in my life, I wish like HELL I had kept them all.. I even used to keep the cardboard game boxes of all my games and often tack them on my wall as a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

Daymon wrote:
This buzz I hear around the internet about 'cloud gaming' and the end of consoles within the next 10 years is kind of making me paranoid, I really don't want gaming to become like netflix where games stream onto your tv and you have no ownership of them. As cloud gaming gets closer and the next consoles come out I'm probably going to lose it completely and stock up like 20 years worth of cheap game disks and old systems to prepare for the future.

I can't say much about Xbox360, PS3, or Wii, as I have not owned any of them, though I did see Xbox360 in action at my godson's place. (Played Minecraft xbox version beautifully.) One common critique is that those consoles focused more on visuals over game creativity/content.

As a PC gamer I don't mind down-loadable games (I sure wouldn't want to be Gamestop though). Its would imagine its cool being able to reformat your PC, just install Steam and play all your games with the CD keys already included.

Steam box (Valve is developing a video game console named Steam Box with an expected release date of 2013. It would be dedicated to running Steam to allow players to launch games, media, and other functions that the client already provides. The unit is expected to be tightly hardware controlled, similar in manner to other video game consoles.) is in the works, as well as the Kickstarter-financed OUYA, and recently unveiled in CES 2013 Nvidia's Tegra4-powered Project SHIELD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0MuXQwbTl0.

Perhaps you will find what you are searching for there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm 

My thing is having the disks, the physical item in your hand.. also without the need of any internet activation or key entry to use the disks. Current consoles you just put the disk in and play. For all eternity it's yours as long as your console still works. You never have to tweak it for a new graphics card or find out the game doesnt work with your new operating system /etc.

Actually looking at the PSP at the moment, I didnt realize there were so many JRPGs for it. Tempting at 100 bucks with some games at $10, such as the ff tactics sequel, plus from what I understand I can download my PSN games from the ps3 and play them on the PSP. Meaning ps1 classics like xenogears, grandia, vagrant story, suikoden, chrono cross, ff7-9, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

Daymon wrote:
My thing is having the disks, the physical item in your hand..

Tempting at 100 bucks with some games at $10, such as the ff tactics sequel, plus from what I understand I can download my PSN games from the ps3 and play them on the PSP. Meaning ps1 classics like xenogears, grandia, vagrant story, suikoden, chrono cross, ff7-9, etc.

It seems you favor downloadable content to some degree (unconsciously). Even though I do think having a physical copy that you can store in your attic or ...sell to gamestop or ebay has its advantages.

Downloadable games have theirs as well:

They are safe and downloable as long as the company is solvent. In cases that a company goes bankrupt another competing company usually buys out the losing company. Wells Fargo buying Wachovia, Tigerdirect buying CompUSA.
Notable Exceptions: Electronic Boutique, Circuit City

In the case of Steam, I believe their game library and infrastructure is so valuable that another company would purchase them in case of bankruptcy.

Don't need to make space to store them or fear that the CD's will break. Can play them on various machines/consoles as long as the service is supported. Digital game companies usually have some sort of community app so your gaming friends can see when you are on or see what games you own/achievements.

Companies like Valve sell games at extremely discounted prices at times or bundle them. Also it is in their interests that they make games compatible with future Operating Systems. Some Valve games are Linux compatible even.

Just my 2 cents..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 am 
Fake-moustached Investigator

Derzerb wrote:
Daymon wrote:
My thing is having the disks, the physical item in your hand..

Tempting at 100 bucks with some games at $10, such as the ff tactics sequel, plus from what I understand I can download my PSN games from the ps3 and play them on the PSP. Meaning ps1 classics like xenogears, grandia, vagrant story, suikoden, chrono cross, ff7-9, etc.

It seems you favor downloadable content to some degree (unconsciously). Even though I do think having a physical copy that you can store in your attic or ...sell to gamestop or ebay has its advantages.

Downloadable games have theirs as well:

They are safe and downloable as long as the company is solvent. In cases that a company goes bankrupt another competing company usually buys out the losing company. Wells Fargo buying Wachovia, Tigerdirect buying CompUSA.
Notable Exceptions: Electronic Boutique, Circuit City

In the case of Steam, I believe their game library and infrastructure is so valuable that another company would purchase them in case of bankruptcy.

Don't need to make space to store them or fear that the CD's will break. Can play them on various machines/consoles as long as the service is supported. Digital game companies usually have some sort of community app so your gaming friends can see when you are on or see what games you own/achievements.

Companies like Valve sell games at extremely discounted prices at times or bundle them. Also it is in their interests that they make games compatible with future Operating Systems. Some Valve games are Linux compatible even.

Just my 2 cents..

tl;dr: Stop hinting and just give us your Steam name already.

In fact, all you sumbitches need to pony up and share your names.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 am 

IGNs: Dyn
Dyra
Denruki
Actually with all the legal mumbojumbo with Steam you are paying for the rights to download'n'play games from their server you don't "own" said game, and they have the right to take away your service anytime. Something along those lines, nobody really cares. And I doubt they will ever go bankrupt...

because they have the best snack bar.