It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:57 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
He may be on to something.

Quote:
Gamer Sues MMO Publisher Over Addiction, Says He’s “Unable to Function

America: Land of the free, home of the brave, and backdrop to numerous incredulous lawsuits. But at least this latest round of courtroom drama brings with it a rather scenic backdrop: Hawaii.

Not that the setting matters so much, but at least it provides a nice change of pace from the usual happenings in Florida, California, or some backwater berg where they dun’ know how all ‘dem pretty pictures make their way to th’ funny glass box.

Regardless, plaintiff Craig Smallwood has brought his case against NCsoft, the developer/publisher of the Korean massively-multiplayer online role playing game (MMO RPG) Lineage II. He is seeking unspecified monetary damages due to the addictive nature of the game, which he claims he would never have played had he been forewarned.

Lineage II is obviously the sequel to South Korean phenomenon Lineage, and has reportedly gained 600,000 users within the span of a few years of its 2003 release. Over six years hence, the immersion 3-D MMO RPG continues to receive expansions and updates.

Between 2004 and 2009, Smallwood claims to have sunk 20,000 hours into the game. Furthermore, he alleges that NCsoft “acted negligently in failing to warn or instruct or adequately warn or instruct plaintiff and other players of Lineage II of its dangerous and defective characteristics, and of the safe and proper method of using the game.”

Now, Smallwood claims that he is “unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends.” If that wasn’t bizarre enough, U.S. District Judge Alan Kay refused to dismiss parts of his complaint in a decision made on August 4th, which means the way may be paved for an actual trial.

”In light of plaintiff’s allegations, the court finds that plaintiff has stated a claim for both negligence and gross negligence,” ruled the judge.

NCsoft’s attorney was not immediately prepared to comment on Kay’s decision, though a recent court filing once more urged the judge to dismiss the case.

Source: Wired.com

http://www.ripten.com/2010/08/21/gamer-sues-mmo-publisher-over-addiction-says-hes-unable-to-function-lbd416/
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:39 am 
Maiden of many mules

lol...

I find it sad how people need to blame the company for their addiction to the game. If ONLY they had been warned! Yeah right. He would still have been just as addicted, it probably lies in his nature to begin with.

I guess game companies need to be babysitters and put in functions so you get "fatigued" in the games, so you will be forced to log out which some MMOs already have. I heard SE is making it for ff14 as well where the system is just more retarded than in others MMOs from what I heard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 am 
♥Prinny♥
♥Prinny♥

I think he's just digging for gold.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:42 pm 

um, is this actually gonna make it to court. so many people could get in on this so fast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:07 pm 
♥Prinny♥
♥Prinny♥

I would throw the lawsuit back at his face and order him out before I personally throw him out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 pm 

there is a reason ppl hate neckbeards...