-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm 

Ok so here's the story. I got Fallout 3. Turns out my graphics card can't support it, but I can't return it. I need a new graphics card but they all seem to be PCIe these days and all I have is AGP and PCI. My choices are find a graphics card that is AGP and PCI that can support the game (this is failing me at the moment) or get a new motherboard AND a graphics card. Now I'm not even going to go into how little I know about motherboards, nothing, oops, there I go. Anyways so I need someone to tell me what to get. I want bare minimums of whatever and as cheap as possible. The chipsets Fallout 3 is ok with are

* NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* ATI HD 4800 series
* ATI HD 4600 series
* ATI HD 3800 series
* ATI HD 3600 series
* ATI HD 3400 series
* ATI HD 2900 series
* ATI HD 2600 series
* ATI HD 2400 series
* ATI X1900 series
* ATI X1800 series
* ATI X1600 series
* ATI X1300 series
* ATI X850 series

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
unfortunately it's alot more complicated than that.. here's what you could do, and what will happen-

-you (somehow) buy a powerful AGP graphics card, but you find out your powersupply doesnt have the amps/watts to support it.

-you buy a new motherboard and...
----your processor doesnt fit in the slot
--- -or your pc crashes because that motherboard doesnt like your memory
----or your power supply doesnt have the watts to run a good pci-E card
----and your power supply doesnt have a power connector for a pci-e card
----AND most likely windows won't work anymore as its only supposed to work with that one motherboard it was originally activated on

So you're screwed, you'd most likely need a new copy of windows, a new motherboard, and a new powersupply unit, new graphics card and then there's no guarantee what you bought would fit into your case(high end graphics cards are about a foot long), you'd be looking at like $400. Best you could hope for is to find a AGP graphics card that will somehow fit into your pc as is, but then its likely to run fallout3 like crap. There's always xbox360.

My co-worker sort of went through this with his friend. He got his friend into Wow and his friends pc died.. so his friend goes out and buys a new dell, but then the monitor goes bad. So friend goes out and buys a 20 inch widescreen monitor, but the pc is too weak to post Wow on a 20 inch screen since the resolution is too high, then guy then decides he will buy a new graphics card but.. oops 250 watt powersupply and no x16 pci-E slot. So now the friend has borrowed $800 from his inlaws and my co-worker is building him a pc that'll run any game and will be upgradable /rolls eyes

fallout3 is awesome btw :twisted: