-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:02 pm 
Rampaging Warlock

IGNs: Anidawehi (mithra rdm, ACTIVE), Iernhardt (galka war, Inactive), Elijah (elvaan mnk, Inactive).
If you will recall, back sometime before Denruki crashed our old forums (8P), I posted a topic in secular asking for advice on a new PSU for my PC. Well, I have finally concluded that the PSU is not the problem, so it must be in the motherboard somewhere or perhaps the processor (main symtoms: no power to monitor and keyboard, although the power would come on).

I made this conclusion by finally, instead of trying Arti's PSU in my PC (which did not work), tried MY PSU in HIS PC. It is running his PC beautifully as we speak (virtually speaking).

So, here is what I want to do for the time being, so that I can access my harddrive. I want to combine both PC's into one. Now, Arti's PC case does not have any room for expansion, so I cannot add my harddrive to his PC as a second drive. I am going to have to disassemble both PC's and reconstruct everything in my PC case, which does have more than enough room for expansion. All I really need from his PC are the:

motherboard
    processor
    harddrive (as a secondary)
    and probably install his CD burner as well, if I can find the drivers disk (if that will be necessary).
    oh, and also my PSU

I can put everything in where it belongs and hook everything up, but I need advice on how to set up everything so that we can choose which drive to access at startup. This way, Arti can still have access to all of his stuff and I will, once again, have access to all of mine, including FFXI PC version (although it will have about 2 years worth of updates to download and no WotG).

I really don't know how much life Arti's HD has left in it because it has gotten so many viruses, but perhaps reformatting it would help it run better, but I do NOT want him surfing the net on MY HD, because he won't stay away from the sites the bugs come from. That's why it is necessary to have both HD's accessable, preferrably separately. (and this brings up the question as to whether or not a virus on HIS HD would be able to infect mine, as well. Currently, his HD is clear.)

Help and advice on how to set all of this up would be most appreciated.

Notes:
    Both HD's have Windows XP Home Edition.
    Arti's PC is a lolDell and mine is a Compaq (don't think that matters)
    His HD is a 40G and mine is an 80G.
    RAM is not an issue (I have over 1G in my PC)
    My processor is a Celeron and his is a Pentium III.
    Don't know about the motherboard types, but everything, so far, seems to be interchangable between the 2 PC's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:51 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
Sounds scary. You'd have a pentium III computer, assuming your motherboard is the problem (i doubt you'd be able to switch processors >.>), then you could hope it would accept your RAM.

After that I have no idea how to set up 2 harddrives in a RAID setup.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:52 pm 
Rampaging Warlock

IGNs: Anidawehi (mithra rdm, ACTIVE), Iernhardt (galka war, Inactive), Elijah (elvaan mnk, Inactive).
Although I can't be positive until I test it, I have a hunch it is my Celeron processor that has gone out. If that is the case, then all I need from Arti's PC is his Pentium III and his HD, and take my PSU back. The only problem I am running into atm is that the heat sinks and the processors are a little difficult to remove, so I need to know how to do this properly, so as not to damage them or the motherboards.

As for the dual HD's, I know one (mine) is the master and one (Arti's) is the slave. I just need to set it up so that at boot, I get the black boot screen asking which OS to load. I know this is done in BIO's and it is very similar to having a partition and two OS's on one HD. If it's gonna be easier to dual boot (both HD's boot) and the master loads, then I can do that and Arti can just switch to his HD from mine, but I'd rather try to keep it a little more separate and have a little less power being used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:12 pm 
Rampaging Warlock

Well, had to reconstruct inside of Arti's case, because my Compaq case doesn't have matching connectors (powerswitch, ect.) to his motherboard. I don't believe his Pentium is compatible with my motherboard ... fits, but the contacts and whatever are different and it would not power on.

So, I transferred my two 512 RAM sticks to Arti's PC, as well as my harddrive, and of course the PSU (although his works, it is only 200w and mine is 250w).

Set my HD as slave, but there is no port for it, so it is just sitting in there. Gotta be careful not to let the PC get moved or bumped. At this time, to boot the preferred drive, we have to go into BIOS at boot and go to the Boot screen and change the primary drive, save and exit. Learning as I go, so I think I am doing fairly good. My HD still needs some updating of drivers and such so that various components of Arti's motherboard will work. Right now, I have no sound, no USB, and no internet.

Still working on everything, and I hope my experience doing this will help someone else who might want or need to do the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:04 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
awesome that you're brave enough to do all that O_O You've probably got enough know-how to land a computer tech job now :D My sister is giving me her old amd 1.4ghz machine here soon, Im going to see what I can do with that just for fun.

you should consider scraping together $500 bucks or so and build yourself a new pc at some point though, we have a couple pentium 4 (1.7ghz, 1gig ram) pcs at work and its getting so we cant even surf the web since the animations and general amount of data being thrown around are too much to handle. If you pick parts carefully you should be able to stretch your built pcs life out for a very long time buying small upgrades from time to time. Of course no pc will ever be perfect though, there's always some nagging issue that you're trying to solve (with mine the dvd drive occasionally takes upwards of 1 minute to recognize a disk).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:12 pm 
Rampaging Warlock

My HD is up and running, for the most part. Have an issue with the internet randomly disconnecting (the wireless connection, not my dsl modem). Also having some issues now with my GForce card. Same card I had in my computer, but, although it is working, it opens windows and programs somewhere way-the-hell off screen. O.o? No clue as to why and I am still tinkering and fiddling to fix it. FFXI is updated and runs, but needs some graphical tweaking. I don't remember it looking so jaggedy, especially the text in the chat log. Also still need to get the WotG exp. for it.

So, it has been, and continues to be, a real learning experience. Perhaps by the time I have everything as normally functional as it can get, I will be able to offer my services as a technician and make a little extra moolas. hahahahaha! >.>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:15 am 
Rampaging Warlock

With the exception of not having WotG installed, my HD is now up and fully running inside Arti's PC. I still need to install my nVidia drivers on Arti's HD so that we don't have to keep switching the monitor cable when we switch HD's, but that'll only take a few minutes.

As for the random d/c's my wireless was doing, I fixed that by going out and getting a new ethernet card (since the onboard one does not work), so now we have a completely stable, and much faster, connection.

All's well on the PC homefront.^^

Post subject: nike dunk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 am 
how much about a [url=http://www.afkicks.com]nike dunk[/url] ??every one know??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 pm 
The Eventress

stfu bot..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm 
Rampaging Warlock

Katsuko wrote:
stfu bot..

lulz