-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on Rdm/Dnc?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 pm 

IGNs: Athan: Lvl 45 RDM, 30 BST, 30 THF, 22 BLU, 16 MNK, 11 BLM, 4 NIN, 13 WHM

Silvestri: 15 MNK. Lvl 37 Cooking. Lvl 5 Fishing.
I've heard some interesting talk on the subject. Mostly that they can beat out white mage in curing, out perform a DD, and stack up enfeeble-like moves in addition to rdm enfeebles, and the combination of tp and mp makes rdm/dnc a flexible combo. The other side though says rdm in a party won't get that tp. that they should stay in the back with the obvious choice of mage sub, and if you want a dnc then you might as well just do it as main. I unlocked dnc a couple weeks ago and was thinking about subbing it. Any thoughts :?:

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Rdm/Dnc?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:48 pm 
Fake-moustached Investigator

Soloing? Sub whatever you'd like. I could see it having potential, but RDM operates by preventing any damage at all (Stoneskin, Phalanx, Utsusemi, potent debuffs, and/or Bind+Gravity and DoTing [More dots more dots more dots!]). I guess it really depends what you want to do, but I really can't think of any particular situation where /DNC could work--RDM/DNC is very self-sufficient, but there's a point where it becomes diminishing (i.e., you could kill faster by using a DD sub, and thus sustain less damage in the long run).

For partying? You still shouldn't sub DNC, on any job, melee or mage. Soboro SAM might have a case, but even so, focusing on DD instead of curing would be more rewarding. As a RDM, You'll drive yourself crazy trying to spread yourself so thin, and other areas will suffer (MP management mainly). DDs especially shouldn't sub /DNC, because that TP is better spent towards damage.

That isn't to say that /DNC is a bad support job; it's the best sub for most melees when they want to solo. It just doesn't have a place in partying, and though I don't see how a soloing red mage could benefit, I'm sure someone could make a case. Really, it just comes down to how efficient you want to be--I'm sure there have been certain setups out there that could have benefited from a RDM/DNC, but it probably would have been better to reorganize the entire party and get greater rewards for less risk and effort.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 pm 
♥Prinny♥
♥Prinny♥

Quote:
I've heard some interesting talk on the subject. Mostly that they can beat out white mage in curing, out perform a DD, and stack up enfeeble-like moves in addition to rdm enfeebles, and the combination of tp and mp makes rdm/dnc a flexible combo.

RDM/DNC isn't going to outperform any DDs except the crappiest ones since much of the TP gained will be used for Sambas, Waltzes, and Steps. I am not sure how it would stack up to white mage in healing, especially now, but it does open up a different method of main healing if you're so inclined. Don't try on imps, though.

Quote:
The other side though says rdm in a party won't get that tp.

They're idiots that don't know what they're talking about...unless they're talking about the red mages that don't know crap how to equip to fight.

Quote:
that they should stay in the back with the obvious choice of mage sub, and if you want a dnc then you might as well just do it as main.

And they can go to Hell. White mage is a superior main healer if a main healer is what they're after.

Quote:
As a RDM, You'll drive yourself crazy trying to spread yourself so thin, and other areas will suffer (MP management mainly).

Since TP will be used rather than MP for a good portion of the time, and with help from Drain Samba II or Aspir Samba, depending on how things are going and what you're fighting, it's potentially far more MP efficient than going /whm in some cases.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:46 pm 
The Eventress

To be fair though Deed, the way that you play RDM is fairly unique, and far from the norm.

90% of Red Mages out there focus on the Support and Mage side of the job rather than being up front. Not to say that there's anything wrong with being up front, in some situations, I just think he needs to know how the majority will feel about it and I think Aid did a good job of summarizing that.

To Athan: Both posts have great information, but just know that most people will be automatically expecting you to abide by the concerns Aid brought up in his post. If you want to break the mold and be a DD RDM like deed, she gave some good info too, though you may want to let people know in advance however when doing events and joining statics or groups etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 pm 

IGNs: Athan: Lvl 45 RDM, 30 BST, 30 THF, 22 BLU, 16 MNK, 11 BLM, 4 NIN, 13 WHM

Silvestri: 15 MNK. Lvl 37 Cooking. Lvl 5 Fishing.
Quote:
Both posts have great information, but just know that most people will be automatically expecting you to abide by the concerns Aid brought up in his post.

I have a friend who is a Rdm and we're the exact same level. In fact, we compete in getting the latest spells and best equipment. And we argue on how to play Rdm. I agree that Rdm is a mage. Yes, when I hit 51 I will save up money for dark staff and an ice staff. But I want to keep a sword. My armor right now is all mp equipment, but if I found a piece with an attack, Dex, or Vit bonus that's better, I will put it in. My friend subs whm and I sub blue. She said I better get use to that fact that I'll be an expected back row and I better grab a staff. I can say that all the jobs I've leveled, I haven't setup my Rdm for that. I frequently use Bst, Blu, and Thf as my subjobs. To be better well rounded, I should level blm and whm....but I'm running out of room for armor! :lol:

Still, I believe that rdm is both. My Rdm/Blu is tons stronger than my friends Rdm/Whm. My friend is only interested in what 90% of the parties want. I'm sure in time I will be interested in both and I think being flexible makes the better Rdm.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
I always wanted to try rdm/dnc solo, at a respectable level. I did a little as 34. I wouldn't say you're going to win any records but using tp to heal and then saving your mp for more fun things sounds cool.

In terms of parties, I can't say too much.. but the one time i got rdm past the refresh level I was SOO busy between enfeebles, refresh, magic burst, perhaps cures/status removal, etc. that I just gave up on pulling out my sword at all. I actually think I quit rdm for a good month at 41 and leveled warrior before I got up the nerve to continue on to 45ish (and quit that character overall, I had no DH on remora to keep me interested).