inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:29 am 

IGNs: Dyn
Dyra
Denruki
Quote:
Encrypted Security Token Provides Additional Protection to FINAL FANTASY XI Players

LOS ANGELES (March 24, 2009) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America, today announced the upcoming launch of the Square Enix Account System and Square Enix Security Token in Japan, North America and Europe on April 7, 2009 PDT. Offering additional account safeguards to players of FINAL FANTASY® XI, these new initiatives provide for a higher level of account security. The new system will utilize the Square Enix Security Token, which will be available to purchase for $9.99 via the PlayOnline® Viewer.

Creating a Square Enix Account is free and can be done by anyone via the official Square Enix website. With this new system in place beginning April 7, 2009 PDT, Square Enix Accounts will be compatible with FINAL FANTASY XI and PlayOnline, as well as future online services.

After registering a Square Enix Account and purchasing the Square Enix Security Token, players can then assign the token to their PlayOnline ID(s). Using the token will generate a one-time password every 30 seconds for the account. Implementation of these new features is an extension of Square Enix’s commitment to continuous service for our customers.

Additionally, players who purchase a security token will also receive the brand new in-game bonus, the “Mog Satchel.” The “Mog Satchel” provides additional inventory space and benefits all characters on the PlayOnline account(s). The space provided by the “Mog Satchel” is equal to the character’s Gobbiebag capacity and can expand along with it. In order to utilize the bonus, it will be necessary for the customer’s PlayOnline ID to be linked to a Square Enix Account.

Square Enix Account

Registration Launch: -April 7, 2009 (Mon)
Registration Location: -Square Enix website
Compatible Services (Initial): -FINAL FANTASY XI, PlayOnline

Square Enix Security Token

Release Date: -April 7, 2009 (Mon)
Price: -$9.99(Includes tax and shipping)
Where to Purchase: -Available for purchase via the PlayOnline Viewer
Bonus with Purchase: -The ”Mog Satchel” will be included as an in-game bonus for FINAL FANTASY XI players who purchase a security token(*1). The “Mog Satchel” will provide up to 80 additional inventory slots and can be accessed anywhere whether the player is in the Mog House or out adventuring in Vana’diel®. (*2)

*1 It is required for the PlayOnline ID to be linked to the Square Enix Account that has a security token associated.
*2 The space provided by the Mog Satchel is equal to the character’s Gobbiebag capacity.

source: http://www.playonline.com/cis/us/

up to +80 inventory spaces FFFFFFFFFFFFu...I wasn't planning on buying one but hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 am 
The Eventress

First Reaction: OMG WOOT! NO MORE INVENTORY ISSUES!

Second Reaction: They sure are pushing this "in game item" stuff far. In the past the items being given along with the products haven't offered any huge benefit over someone who had not purchased the item. This however does, and is treading into dangerous ground for SE.

Although I can't say that I'm overly happy about SE's business decisions, I myself am looking forward to the extra space, as I was originally buying a token regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:04 am 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
Maybe Square is just that serious of extra security for the users. They must get tired of answering all that hijack stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am 
The Eventress

Well yes, I agree, but consider that purchasing this token isn't an option for someone.

I've known many players whose situations can barely allow the subscription for the game, or younger players who can't convince their parents to allow them to buy something like this, really there are any number of legitimate situations that could potentially stand in the way of someone attaining one of these, and now they have to suffer having potentially 80 fewer inventory than the majority.

Whatever the situation may be, I guess I just personally think that when offering something like a large inventory upgrade, it should be available to their entire user base, not just the ones with disposable income.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 am 
Soloable by "most" jobs.

IGNs: Arynel, Arinel, Elvynel, Hairynel, Meowynel
I think that's really lame i have to pay 10 dollars for 80 extra spaces. Really lame. I'm not happy about this at all and I think it's SE's way of going "EFF YOU" to the player base. This is something they should have given to us for free.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 am 
Maiden of many mules

You are not just paying $10 for 80 extra spaces lol. You are also paying for a service of better security - If $10 will keep you safe for as long as FF11 will exist it's really not that bad is it? Unless it was like $10 per month, then we could discuss your point of view.

I think I might get it for my main account only, since my laptop is never "online" on the internet, except from playing Wow and FFXI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:47 am 
Soloable by "most" jobs.

IGNs: Arynel, Arinel, Elvynel, Hairynel, Meowynel
Ethy wrote:
You are not just paying $10 for 80 extra spaces lol. You are also paying for a service of better security - If $10 will keep you safe for as long as FF11 will exist it's really not that bad is it? Unless it was like $10 per month, then we could discuss your point of view.

I think I might get it for my main account only, since my laptop is never "online" on the internet, except from playing Wow and FFXI

But what about PS2 and Xbox360 users? They don't need the token at all, their security is already fine. But to get 80 free inventory slots they have to pay $10 bucks. Also, my computer is perfectly safe without this (Vista + adblockers + security software etc), why do I have to pay $10 to get something in game that is free?

It's a slippery slope. I just paid $10 bucks for my TCP Augmented gear, and now $10 for 80 inventory slots. I just hope this isn't a new direction SE is moving in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm 
The Eventress

Well in regards to Crystaline Prophecy, the purchase is for actual content. Whether you're interested in the story content or not is up to you, I just personally don't think it's the same sort of scenario.

On the subject of PS2 and 360 users, apparently (and don't take this as fact because it's just rumor at this point) RMT are using POL messages to break into accounts. If that is the case, then PS2 and 360 may have something to worry about very soon. Not to mention it would nullify the purpose of these tokens.

If you're doubtful, there are proven tests done by Taj (a lead designer of FFXI bots and third party software) that have proved that you can DC someone from the game when if they open a maliciously coded POL message. So it's certainly not out of the spectrum of possibilities, theoretically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm 
Maiden of many mules

You are never really safe. You can have the best of everthing and still get hacked. Like Kat said, I don't think the Xbox and ps2 users should feel they are safe really. It's just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm 

IGNs: Dyn
Dyra
Denruki
I never even considered buying this because I use my pc purely for gaming, I use my laptop to surf when needed.

But anyways my mindset is that if you're going to get this, get it for the extra security not the ingame item cause its obviously a ploy to force people to buy it. SE know everyone has been askin for extra inventory spaces etc.

However the other part is that the current system that most of us use are "mules" 30 spaces on the char, up to 50 extra spaces from safe and up to 80 storage if we fill em with furniture and that costs $1 a month per mule, with the sachel its a one time fee of $10 for a perm 30 to 80 spaces(depending on your current gobbie bag) on your main(i assume that only 1 char on account can get ingame item....but if every char on account could get it that would be godly >_>...) so you'll have more spaces via a mule but after months of playing you'll be paying alot.....some benefits to having a mule tho, 10 more pots to garden with! lol

but yea that's just my thoughts atm, I myself am going to wait on buying this. The extra spaces on my main will help me carry extra gear sets....but I want to see how well the system will work for people and wait for any bugs to get worked out......also somewhere down the line I feel like someones gonna manage to figure out the random key generating algorithm for them and hack away >_>...may never happen but thats just me being skeptical.